Wednesday, December 3, 2008

KNOWING


I am pretty curious about the new film KNOWING, from director Alex Proyas (THE CROW, DARK CITY -- a masterpiece -- and I, ROBOT). It stars Nic Cage and it's set for release on March 20, 2009. The premise is very intriguing: a time capsule is unearthed at a school in a small town and inside the capsule there is evidence of many major global disasters from throughout the years, with some dire imminent predictions as well. I have always found Proyas to be a very stylish director, and this project definitely has some potential. It's an independently financed, fairly big-budget movie with a majorly high-concept scenario. I wonder how this end-of-humanity flick will compare with Roland Emmerich's 2012, which hits theaters next summer. Proyas had some legendary fights with Fox over the tone and creative handling of I, ROBOT, and while that film was entertaining and well done and it was a big hit at the box office, it could have been better. I am hoping that KNOWING has a bit of the darker edge that Proyas used to show off with his earlier efforts. DARK CITY is among my favorite films, a sci-fi materwork that blended German expressionism, film noir, sci-fi, and comic books to create a wholly mesmerizing work of art. I highly recommend that you check it out if it has slipped by you. It's the very definition of underrated and undervalued.


Here's a link to the nifty looking trailer for KNOWING:


And for shits and giggles, here's a link to Emmerich's 2012 (it's only a teaser):

1 comment:

Joel said...

Definite potential for both films, if for different reasons. I think "Knowing" will fix everything that "The Number 23" broke. It looks GOOD. And "2012" looks fun, admittedly. I'll be seeing it for sure.