Friday, May 29, 2009

MOVIES FOR THE WEEKEND

I'll be seeing Pixar's Up this Sunday. Probably gonna check it out in 3-D. It should be fun. It's gotten overwhelmingly positive reviews. I loved last summer's Pixar entry Wall*E -- it's pretty much my favorite animated movie of all time. I've been slow to warm up to animated movies, but some of the recent offerings from Pixar (The Incredibles, Ratatouille, Wall*E) have been as good or better than most of the live-action movies released in those years.

From Netflix I have the straight-to-DVD indie Powder Blue, a.k.a, the movie where Jessica Biel gets naked while playing a stripper.

Also, I watched Marley & Me recently, which was about 1,000 times better than I ever expected it to be (the fact that Scott Frank and Don Roos wrote the script helped a lot). I assumed, based on the trailers, that it would be a 90 minute dog food commercial, but I was wrong. Sure, it's not brilliant, but it was actually entertaining, and anyone who has love in their heart for animals won't be able to resist it. Also, I barely made it through 20 minutes of the Bollywood genre-melder Chandi Chowk to China before I started watching it on fast-forward. It was terrible.

No comments: