Sunday, February 28, 2010

DVD UP-CHUCK

New York, I Love You was fun and sexy but hit-and-miss. Surrogates was enjoyable in the moment but is the very definition of "forgettable." The Box is a typically heady brew from writer/director Richard Kelly; I enjoyed it more than I expected too. Cold Souls is Kaufman-lite but very entertaining in a space-case kind of way. Peter and Vandy is a wonderful indie romantic dramedy with two terrific performances from Jess Weixler and Jason Ritter; loved this one. If you're looking for some sexy, trasy, silly junk-food, look no further than Women in Trouble; the sight of Carla Gugino and Connie Britton in lingerie should be enough of a reason to warrant a rental. Parenthood remains one of Ron Howard's best comedies. Patton Oswalt is incredible in Big Fan, a darkly funny look at an obsessed mind. If you're a fan (like I am) of actress Vera Farmiga (The Departed, Up in the Air), check out the hard-hitting indie Down to the Bone; rarely does an actress get this raw on screen. The Burning Plain deserved more acclaim than it got. And the sweetly affecting romance Adam, about an autistic guy learning to love a woman, is worth checking out as well.

1 comment:

Joel said...

I can't believe I haven't seen "Parenthood," as I'm generally a huge fan of Rick Moranis ("Spaceballs," anyone...?).

I have Asperger's Syndrome like the title character of "Adam," so I definitely want to see that one.

"Big Fan" has been on my radar for a while now. I need to pick that one up.