Friday, April 30, 2010

MOVIES FOR THE WEEKEND

No trips to the theater are planned for this weekend. I'm not really a horror movie guy so I don't have much interest in the new remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street.

I caught Kick-Ass this week and had a blast with it. I still really want to see The Losers -- I'll check it out next week after work one night.

It feels like forever since I last wrote any formal movie reviews so I'd like to comment on the few titles I've seen so far this year. Hopefully soon.

Next weeks brings Iron Man 2 -- very much looking forward.

Nothing from Netflix this weekend as I just sent a disc back -- The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus. As always with a film from Terry Giliam, it was a visual delight.

Maybe I'll get Sherlock Holmes on demand this weekend...

2 comments:

Joel said...

I'm headed out here in a bit to see "Furry Vengeance," just out of a bit of self-loathing curiosity. All the bad reviews have made me want to see it.

I caught up with "The Losers" and "Date Night" on Wednesday. The former was completely "meh for me, neither especially good nor very bad, but it might catch on with you better. Having seen the much better superhero satire "Kick-Ass" so recently, seeing "The Losers" seemed kind of flat.

"Date Night" was terrific, though. You would never know that a hack like Shawn Levy directed it. The chemistry between Carell and Fey was great, the humor was spot-on, the plotting was actually suspenseful (watch out for the insane burst of energy in the form of a car chase in the middle of it). There were flaws, but not nearly enough to mar the experience too much. Definitely a buyer in my book.

I'll see "A Nightmare on Elm Street" next week. The other major horror release, "The Human Centipede (First Sequence)," has the distinction of being one of the VERY few movies I have refused to see on principle. I have personal limits (not many, but they're there), and that film is way north of the line.

I'll be doing a Best Films of Spring 2010 next Wednesday. Then...let the Summer season begin!

Actionman said...

Date Night will be a rental...it looks fun...I love the two of them so...