Tuesday, December 9, 2008

WALL*E TAKES IT IN L.A.


I love this decision by the L.A. Film Critics Society. They have given their best picture award to WALL*E, which is, in my opinion, the best animated film ever. Or at least my favorite. I love, love, love this film. I have watched it a few times now and I don't think I'll ever tire of it. It's one of the few animated films that can legitimately be called a masterpiece, and while it's doubtful that it will get nominated in the top spot at the Oscars, it's more than inevitable that it will win best animated feature. But I am hoping for a surprise shot at best picture; this film is that good.

Also of note with the critics in L.A. is that they went with another one of my favorite films of the year, HAPPY-GO-LUCKY, in the best actress category (Sally Hawkins), best original screenplay category (Mike Leigh), and runner-up in supporting actor (Eddie Marsan). This is one of those quiet, talky films that relies upon good word of mouth to keep it going during its limited run in theaters. Awards traction can only help.

With all of the end of the year awards being handed out, there's just too much to report on. I'll chime in when I feel that a group, or particular critic, has made some good picks. Also, in terms of my end of the year awards and superlatives, I still have a lot to see before I can officially declare 2008 over. By mid January I should be caught up, and I will offer my picks for best of the year along with analysis, and I will also do a posting with how I'd pick the nominees for the Oscars. After the official nominees are announced, I might take a shot at guessing the winners. We'll see.

No comments: