Friday, August 6, 2010

HEAT SET IN BOSTON?

Now look, I'm not saying that Ben Affleck's upcoming action-thriller The Town will be as good as Heat, or even close to the level that Michael Mann's film is on. And I'm certainly not saying that Affleck is as good of a filmmaker as Mann is at this stage in his career. I really enjoyed Gone Baby Gone; it's a tremendously assured debut film and if it's any indication of where Affleck is headed as a storyteller then we'll be in for many great films down the road. But if The Town is half as good as one would expect based on the sensational trailer (available to view @ apple.com/trailers), we'll be in for a treat this fall. The cast for this flick is first-rate (Don Draper!) and it just looks totally kick-ass.

2 comments:

Joel said...

Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, but the trailer seems to give EVERYTHING away. Of course, what it's giving away is worth seeing in full on the big screen, so I'm not really complaining. It's one of the most emotionally compelling trailers for something like this in a good while and I cannot wait.

And yeah, Affleck proved his worth with directing "Gone Baby Gone" and writing "Good Will Hunting" (one of the finest screenplays ever crafted, if you ask me, not to mention the film that showcased Robin Williams's finest performance). This looks stylish as all hell.

Wayne said...

I wasn't really feeling a "Heat" comparison the first time I saw the trailer, but I can see it now. In a just world, Jon Hamm will be up for any A list film role he wants, so if this gets him closer, I'm all for it.