Tuesday, April 29, 2008

LATEST MPAA RATINGS ANNOUNCEMENTS


SEX & THE CITY is rated R for: "strong sexual content, graphic nudity, and language."

My reaction: Good. This film needed to be rated R.

TROPIC THUNDER is rated R for: "pervasive language including sexual references, violent content, and drug material."

My reaction: Excellent. Early word on this film had pegged it as a hard-R action-comedy and we need more of these types of films getting made these days. Excellent.

IRON MAN is rated PG-13 for: "some intense sequences of sci-fi action and violence, and brief suggestive content."

My reaction: sounds like a standard superhero rating to me. Though, I know what they're getting at, but the phrase "brief suggestive content" makes no sense. Suggestive of what, exactly?

MADE OF HONOR is rated PG-13 for: "sexual content and language."

My reaction: I don't care what this movie is rated; it looks like cow shit that has been baking in the hot sun on a 95 degree day on a farm in Ohio.

SPEED RACER is rated PG for: "sequences of action, some violence and language."

My reaction: This film has supposedly been aimed squarely at children and families. The racing action does look cool, in a very different but Nintendo-inspired way. The dialogue and line delivery, however, appears to be atrocious. I am still not sure what to make of this movie...

4 comments:

Wayne said...

SEX AND THE CITY is not something I'm planning on seeing, but it's a good idea to keep that at "R" given what the fans are expecting.

PG-13 makes sense for IRON MAN. That "suggestive" tag has always just seemed like a catch-all that isn't quite language, violence or sexuality, but still made the blue hairs on the board (meaning the entire board) raise an eyebrow.

Thank God for the "R" for TROPIC THUNDER.

I'm with you yet again on MADE OF HONOR. (dig that oh-so-hilarious spelling!) Both Dempsey and Monahan deserve so much better than....whatever this is. So, the guy can't tell the woman that he's in love with her, but he has no problem wrecking her wedding from the inside? And don't get me started on Patrick Dempsey, um, BEING A MAID OF HONOR???? Of course, since it's McDreamy and it's got a wedding theme, it'll make more money than God.

Actionman said...

It's the EXACT same fucking movie as My Best Friend's Wedding, except with a guy in the lead role. Looks dreadful. Painful.

I am glad my fiancee thinks that Dempsey is a tool otherwise I might be dragged to dreck like this. 27 Dresses (which just hit dvd) is one wedding movie enough for the time being...

Wayne said...

I'm having violent reactions to those TV spots and trailers as well. Especially when people laugh.

I like Dempsey, and yet I can't stand Grey's Anatomy, and I don't like this dreck he's doing with movies. It was nice to see him in someting watchable for a change in ENCHANTED.

My girlfriend said sheepishly the other day that she'd like to see 27DRESSES, and I asked her why, and she said "I really don't know." Let's hope that it's just b/c of her crush on Paul Bellamy, um, I mean James Marsden, instead of a sudden willingness to sit through wedding rom-coms.

Actionman said...

Loved Enchanted though Dempsey was sleep walking thru much of it.

Funny, my woman had the same reaction to 27 Dresses...I think she wants to see it just to see it...so that she can watch a wedding-dress movie...but hey, I'll look at Katherine Heigel for 90 minutes.