Thursday, March 19, 2009

KEEP HEARING GREAT THINGS

Kathryn Bigelow's The Hurt Locker gets released this summer. I have read nothing but fantastic early praise for this Iraq war thriller over the last few months. And I love this Italian poster. Bigelow's Strange Days is still one of the best (and one of my personal favorite) sci-fi movies of all time, and Point Break is still giddy, action-movie idiocy (an unnecessary sequel is being shot right now without Bigelow's involvement; Jan De Bont is helming). Bigelow's last major action film, K-19: The Widowmaker, was a better movie than people gave it credit for being, and despite the fact that it went bust at the box office, it was yet another reminder of her gifts as an action director. I really can't wait to see The Hurt Locker.

6 comments:

Wayne said...

I'm with you. I want this to come out yesterday.

Netflix not having "Point Break" on "Watch Instantly" is unacceptable.

Breedlove said...

Jan De Bont. Huh. It was weird how quickly he flamed out. I'm probably in the minority here but I always have had a soft spot for TWISTER. I love the effects in that movie and always have a lot of fun with it. And SPEED was great.

Pretty cool that Ebert gave KNOWING 4 stars. Definitely looking forward to that more now, even though A. I do think he is being a bit more generous with his reviews these days and B. I can't say that I like DARK CITY quite as much as he does. Or as much as you do.

Actionman said...

I also enjoyed Twister. It's absurd but fun and the effects have definitely held up over the years. Speed is one of the best American action movies ever made. But De Bont's stock has certainly dipped over the years. I'm hoping that Point Break 2 is gritty and R-rated like the original. But I have my doubts...

And yeah, HUGE fan of Dark City. The somewhat recently released director's cut is even better than the theatrical cut. I have a serious thing for mixing sci-fi with film noir.

Joel said...

I sadly have not seen Dark City. Which I find baffling myself, since sci-fi is the best genre there is.

And I'm there on Hurt Locker. The trailer's amazing. Looks like a serious, smart, "docuthriller," if you will.

RAO said...

Very happy to hear you love Stange Days as much as I do...Def an underrated classic. I am looking forward to KB's new flix, but the Iraq war has been dicey territory for movies thus far...

Actionman said...

I have enjoyed a vast majority of the recent Iraq war movies, especially Body of Lies, The Kingdom, and In the Valley of Elah.

Strange Days is an amazing viewing experience.