Friday, May 7, 2010

MOVIES FOR THE WEEKEND

I've got my tix for Iron Man 2 tomorrow at 11am -- very excited. Looks like a stylish blast of explosions and beat-downs. I'll probably thrown on the first film tonight for a little re-fresher.

I've got the Blu Ray of Francis Ford Coppola's latest film, Tetro, from Netflix. I have heard some good/interesting things about it.

I got a chance to see The Losers and it was exactly what I expected -- stylish, idiotic action with some witty one-liners (the script was co-written by Peter Berg) and some phenomenal, primary-color-saturated cinematography. Also, Jason Patric was f'ing hysterical as the bad-guy -- he looked like he was having way too much fun on that set. It's a shame that there won't be a sequel considering the terrible box-office receipts it brought in because the film sets itself up nicely for a follow-up.

Last weekend I finally watched Sherlock Holmes and I was pleased with it. It didn't reinvent the wheel but the chemistry between Downey and Law was crisp and snappy and Guy Ritchie's handling of the action sequences was predictably stylish and energetic. I'm also a huge fan of Mark Strong, who played the baddie in Sherlock, as well as the baddie in Kick-Ass and the upcoming Robin Hood and Green Lantern.

2 comments:

Joel said...

I got the chance to see "Iron Man 2" at the midnight showing last night (so nice to get free tickets). I was pleased with it overall, but it had a lot of problems, not the least of which was the complete lack of the first film's character shades. Not as much action as looks to have either, but what is there is phenomenal. I saw "Kick-Ass" this week, and seeing both so close to each other made it obvious for me that Vaughn's film did much, much more for the superhero genre in 2010. But "Iron Man 2" is indeed a success...a muted one, but what the hell. It was a decent bit of fun, even if it didn't live up to the first one.

"The Losers" was a bit lax for me, but I did think it was very funny. And the look of the film was spot-on. The problem was I knew EXACTLY what was going to happen well before it happened, right down to the general thought that someone within the Losers team was in on the plot. Even if I didn't know who it would be, I knew it would happen and that I would probably not be surprised by whoever it was.

"Sherlock Holmes" is the best movie of the three, even if it was really kind of a high-brow, energetic version of a Victorian-era "CSI" episode. And Downey should've been nominated for it.

I am Jack's complete lack of originality said...

You're both being way too kind to Sherlock. I loved Downey and Law, but nothing else stood out in a good way. A few issues:

1-The villain's plan, and the villain himself, were completely bland and forgettable. As we left the theater I asked my wife what the villain's master plan was. She didn't know either.

2-I love Rachael McAdams, but she didn't belong in this movie. The role felt forced and unnatural.

3-The finale on the construction bridge was completely by the numbers and poorly shot.

4-Weak dialogue, aside from the banter between Downey and Law.