Friday, May 28, 2010

MOVIES FOR THE WEEKEND

For the first time in recent memory, I won't be heading to the movie theater this Memorial Day weekend. Sex and the City 2 got utterly destroyed by the critics so no thank you. Prince of Persia looks like leftovers from The Mummy and it's based on a video game that I've never played, so, once again, no thank you. What the hell has happened to Jerry Bruckheimer? What happened to ass-kicking actioners like The Rock and Con Air and Enemy of the State and Crimson Tide? He seems totally focused on family fare (National Treasure, Prince of Persia, Sorcerer's Apprentice) which is a shame. Where are the mean, hostile, aggressive action flicks that he cemented his brand on? C'mon, Jerry...get back to doing what you used to do. (Hint: Give us Bad Boys 3 with Bay back in the director's chair).

From Netflix is the indie Lovely and Amazing. I just sent back The Messenger, which was extremely powerful. I'll have a write-up soon on that one.

My wife and I just closed on our 1st house yesterday, so my guess is that next few months are going to be very, very hectic.

6 comments:

Joel said...

I've been on vacation for a week, but I'm seeing "MacGruber," "Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time," and "Shrek Forever After" all next week.

Congrats on the house!

Actionman said...

Thanks Joel! Things have been so hectic the last few days. Buying a house is a great (but expensive) experience.

I laughed loud and often during Macgruber. It's dumber than a sack full of hammers but I enjoyed it quite a bit. Mindless idiocy. I'll have a quickie review up at some point. Also, it's shot like a Renny Harlin/Tony Scott/Carolco movie from like the mid-80's/early-90's and I enjoyed that aspect immensely.

Curious to hear your thoughts on Persia...

Biff said...

Con Air was an uncompromising masterpiece, arguably one of the greatest films ever made.

Joel said...

You know, it wasn't half-bad. Bruck's in full "Pirates" mode, albeit a bit lesser. But it's got stylish action, flawless effects, and expert editing. Silly as all get out, but more entertaining than, say, "Clash of the Titans."

Actionman said...

Glad to hear that you had fun with Persia. Not sure if time will permit a big-screen viewing, and again, I'm not super-stoked, but I'll definitely check it out at the very least on Blu Ray.

For my 30th birthday (this July) I am going the home-theater route in my new living room. I cannot wait. At least a 55" LCD or Plasma along with top of the line surround/blu package. Mounted speakers. Totally tits.

Joel said...

We've got two 60" Panasonic Plasmas. One's stowed away for now, but that's just for now. And then we've got a BluRay player downstairs, and a PlayStation 3 (which is actually the least expensive Blu on the market, ironically...and we pretty much only use it for movies). Right now, the Blu movies I have are "Avatar," "Disturbia," "(500) Days of Summer," "Hoosiers," "Ratatouille," "Rocky," "Sherlock Holmes," and "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan."