Friday, November 20, 2009

MOVIES FOR THE WEEKEND

Once again, nothing of any major interest is opening in my neck of the woods. I have absolutely zero interest in New Moon. Planet 51 looks pretty lame. The one film opening this weekend that I'm foaming at the mouth to see is Werner Herzog's The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans, but it didn't open in my area. Typical. Precious opened in my area, but I'm still not working up a giant head of steam to spend the $12 to see it on a big screen. I might change my mind but not sure if that's the story I want to invest my 2 hours in this weekend. 2012 still holds some appeal due to the crazy looking special effects, but again, as I said last week, I don't want to sit in the theater for 2 hours and 40 minutes watching a sappy, cliched, disaster movie made from parts of every other disaster movie from the last 20 years.

From Netflix I still have the French rom-com Love Etc. sitting around -- need to finally give that a spin.

I've picked up some new Blu Rays recently -- Up, Star Trek, Pelham, The Fifth Element -- I'll likely check some of these out over the weekend too. Last night I watched a few of the behind-the-scenes segments on the Trek Blu Ray and damn were they impressive. What an awesome, gorgeous looking movie.

3 comments:

Joel said...

I'm seeing "New Moon" in a couple hours, and I'm actually looking forward to it. No, I'm not a crazy obsessive fan or anything, but I like the books, what can I say?

Tomorrow, I'm hoping to see "An Education," which is finally opening at the theater I go to. It's the same situation with "Precious" last week; had absolutely NO idea when it was opening and was taken aback when I saw it on the website's showtime list. So I'm totally up for that.

I notice that you don't mention "The Blind Side," and I don't blame you. The movie barely registers with me. And "Planet 51" looks AWFUL. No fucking way I'm seeing that.

"Bad Lieutenant" will be a DEFINITE rent. Little do friends know that that's also one I'm dying to see. Looks crazy, whacked-out, and utterly brilliant. Ebert's review is glowing; have you read it yet?

Actionman said...

I love John Lee Hancock's work overal, but The Blind Side looks as vanilla as it gets.

Yes - I read Ebert's review. I'm stoked. The film has gotten almost unanimous critical praise; last night it was at 88% @ RT.

Joel said...

That and Armond White loathed it. Can't get any better than that, right? :P

I really liked "New Moon," but don't worry, I won't try to sell you on it, LOL.

Can't wait for "An Education" tomorrow, if I go.