Friday, April 15, 2011

MOVIES FOR THE WEEKEND

Not sure what I'm gonna see this weekend.  Scream 4 only looks a'ight and The Conspirator looks good but has gotten very mediocre reviews.  I still want to see it but my expectations have been slightly lessened.

From Netflix is Get Low.

Earlier this week I saw Hanna -- best movie of 2011 so far. Not perfect, but holy shit what a twisted, wild ride. Ronan was tremendous. Blanchett makes for a terrific villain. Joe Wright definitely has some serious action-chops. Great cinematography and a pulsating score from The Chemical Brothers.  Full review coming up soon...

2 comments:

Joel said...

"Scream 4" is EXCELLENT. As someone who saw the original trilogy for the first time over the course of this week--first is a masterpiece, second is flawed but excellent, third is massively underappreciated--I was coming in as a newbie. I expected it to be a lot of fun, hopefully.

I was not expecting this: it is NOT the same movie as the original three. There are new rules in play, the self-referential is cranked up to 11, and all in all it's a complete reinvention and the start of a whole new trilogy that has real potential. The final twenty minutes are a doozy. It's beautifully shot. It's SCARY; I know you're not a horror guy, but you gotta admit that when it works it works gloriously well. Fear is the most cathartic of emotions, and it's ratcheted up perfectly here.

Here's a clue: ignore the title completely. In fact, if anything, the title itself is poking fun at the fact that this is cracked up to be "just another slasher movie." But it's a masterwork of craftsmanship all the same.

Actionman said...

Here's how old I am -- I saw Scream in the theater, opening weekend, freshmen year of high school. I remember LOVING it at the time, and since then, I've seen it a bunch of times, and it'd indeed a genre classic. I also remember the film BOMBING at the box office in its first weekend, but then doing like $10 million for the next 10 weeks or something, a true word of mouth sensation.

I saw Scream 2 and Scream 3 opening night in the theater and I don't remember one thing from either of them. Literally. Not one fucking thing.

I'll see this new entry on Blu Ray for nostalgia's sake. But glad you liked it -- my expectations are now higher.