Wednesday, December 19, 2007

STAR CHANGE

After watching Joe Wright's masterful romantic drama ATONEMENT for the first time on the big screen, I came to the conclusion that it was a 3.5 star film. Now, after watching it for the second time last night (courtesy of an Academy Award screener dvd), I am upping it to the 4 star mark. I bumped it up after watching (twice) the tour de force, six-and-a-half-minute stedicam shot which features James McAvoy's character stumbling along a war-torn beach, appearing in and out of frame, involving a large number of logistically complicated background action and camera moves, resulting in one of the finest single takes in cinema history. A staggering achievement.

2 comments:

Breedlove said...

can't wait. i love stuff like this. looks awesome. 2007 is rocking so hard.

Actionman said...

Yes, it's been an unbelievable year. And it's funny...I loved Atonement, really well done, but because of so many other films that I've loved even more, Atonement is at like #19 or #20 for the year. And I have no real problems with it at all. I wished there was a big battle scene but that wasn't really the story at hand. And it got better overall when I watched it again last night. That tracking shot is a thing of perfection.