Sunday, November 16, 2008

QUICK THOUGHTS

Went to see ROLE MODLES, the new Paul Rudd/Sean William Scott comedy yesterday. It was a'ight. I laughed a few times. But I expected more based on all of the rave reviews that the film got. There is a smattering of female nudity, some crude humor, and the little black child featured in the trailers steals all of the scenes he's in. It was an amusing time killer on a rainy Saturday but it was nowhere near as good as 2008's other comedy juggernauts, PINEAPPLE EXPRESS and TROPIC THUNDER (which hits DVD this Tuesday!)

A fuller review will follow, but not really sure how long of a review is even necessary.

9 comments:

Wayne said...

Not sure how I missed "Tropic Thunder" coming out on Tuesday, but that's GREAT NEWS! Loved that one.

I was a little baffled by those great ROLE MODELS reviews. Seems kinda "meh" to me.

Finally going to check out "The Fall" today on yours and another trusted source's recommendation.

SamiA said...

Some critics need their heads examined.

Actionman said...

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on The Fall. It's gonna take a lot to beat it for me this year.

Role Models was mildly amusing. I can't believe how people were raving.

Yes, this Tuesday is a big DVD day; Tropic Thunder AND Wall*E.

Wayne said...

The Fall was just flat out, 100% brilliant. Marvelous stuff.

Actionman said...

I am so glad you loved it.

The Fall seems to be the epitome of the love it or hate it movie watching experience.

I think it's a total masterpiece.

Wayne said...

I can't really see what's not to flat out love about this movie. I'm going to seek out negative reviews on this one, b/c I just don't think there's a case.

This film has upped my desire for a Blu Ray player.

Actionman said...

Reading some of the negative reviews for The Fall will make your fuckin' head spin, dude. Trust me...I've read them ALL and I just don't understand how someone who claims to either love film or be a critic couldn't see the brilliance in the film.

Nothing even comes close to it this year. Or last (and last year was remarkable...)

Joel said...

As I always say: trust Ebert...except maybe this summer.

Nick, I will rent "The Fall" this Christmas break and watch it, then review it. Just watched a trailer for it. Wow. Different than the TV spots for sure. I can't wait to check it out.

Actionman said...

I never saw TV spots for The Fall...just the theatrical trailer. Which, while awesome in its own right, doesn't even hint at the brilliance in store for the viewer.

And Wayne...yes...The Fall is as good a reason as any to get a Blu Ray.