Sunday, November 23, 2008

UPDATED: TOP 20 OF 2008

Tarsem’s THE FALL (****)
Charlie Kaufman’s SYNECDOCHE, NY (****)
Christopher Nolan’s THE DARK KNIGHT (****)
Jonathan Demme’s RACHEL GETTING MARRIED (****)
Andrew Stanton’s WALL*E (****)
David Gordon Green’s SNOW ANGELS (****)
Clint Eastwood’s CHANGELING (****)
Werner Herzog’s ENCOUNTERS AT THE END OF THE WORLD (****)
Martin McDonagh’s IN BRUGES (****)
Joel & Ethan Coen’s BURN AFTER READING (****)

Marc Forster’s QUANTUM OF SOLACE (****)
David Gordon Green’s PINEAPPLE EXPRESS (****)
Ben Stiller’s TROPIC THUNDER (****)
Matt Reeves’ CLOVERFIELD (****)
Mike Leigh’s HAPPY-GO-LUCKY (****)
Martin Scorsese’s SHINE A LIGHT (****)
Roger Donaldson’s THE BANK JOB (****)
Stephen Walker’s YOUNG @ HEART (****)
Kimberly Peirce’s STOP-LOSS (****)
Jay Roach’s RECOUNT (****)

2 comments:

Joel said...

Still can't believe the hype about "Quantam of Solace," sorry. I didn't like about 3/4 of that movie. And that's borderline. I was very disappointed.

But I'm thinking about renting "The Fall" over Thanksgiving Break. THINKING. I may not have time. But I will over Christmas for sure.

And I'm still loving that "Dark Knight" at #3. God, that was cinematic perfection.

Actionman said...

Yes, The Dark Knight was the best-of-the-best when it comes to that sort of stuff. Really impressive. Can't wait for the DVD.

I just loved Quantum's sense of action and style. It wasn't a brilliant film but it delivered exactly what I wanted to see: explosive action scenes.

Can't wait to hear what you think of The Fall. It's certainly a love it or leave it type film, but I have watched it at least five times now and the brilliance just keeps showing itself time after time. I am not sure if anything will knock it off its perch for me this year. A truly mesmerizing experience.