Tuesday, November 25, 2008

STILL CAN'T SHAKE IT

It's been over two days since I saw Charlie Kaufman's deranged masterpiece SYNECDOCHE, NY and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. It's a film that demands repeat viewings; it's simply not possible to fully understand this magnificently layered accomplishment on one sitting. It's a film that requires active involvement on the part of the viewer while watching; you can't sit passively while taking this film in. I am almost scared to try and "review" it because it's a film that defies critical reviewing. It is what it is, and Kaufman is probably the last filmmaker to care whether or not he's satisfying the demands of his audience. This is a private piece of filmmaking, and it further establishes Kaufman as a true cinematic original. I doubt I will have the opportunity to catch this film again in the theater, but I will be at Best Buy the moment this film is released on DVD. In the mean time, I am going to continue to mull it over before I attempt writing anything substantial about it. But needless to say, it's one of the best films of 2008.

4 comments:

Joel said...

I'm assuming the phrase "staggering work of cinematic art" is in store here? Come on man, say it. ;)

Actionman said...

Well...it is a staggering achievement...and it is an art film...so yeah...I guess I could call it a "staggering work of art" :)

FallenDVDs said...

The last hour of this movie was like masturbating with sand paper. I did like the first hour though. Don't be brainwashed by the lovefest of critics that like everything that is different or by Kaufman.

Actionman said...

It only feels like masturbating w/sand paper if you're not paying attention.

Overall, I could care less about what critics think. Genius-level film.