Sunday, November 4, 2007

VERY PLEASED

Ridley Scott's AMERICAN GANGSTER, which I saw yesterday, is awesome, and of of my favroite films of the year. It managed to beat BEE MOVIE at the box office as well, pulling in roughly $47 million, with BEE MOVIE coming in at $39 million. Lot's more to come on AMERICAN GANGSTER this week.

I also caught this past summer's thriller 1408, with John Cusack, and only thought it was OK. It was hardly bad, but it wasn't great or even a cut-above for the genre. Given the surprisingly favorable reviews from most critics and surprising box offfice (it quietly did almost $80 million this summer), I expected something better. Though, if you like Cusack, and I do, it's worth renting.

However, one of stangest, most brilliantly surreal documentaries of this year--or any year--is CRAZY LOVE, from ex-publicist turned filmmaker Dan Klores (a guy I used to call for talent bookings!). The wild, wacky, absurd story of obession, love, maiming, and reconcilliation is just too bizzare to be true. But it is. I'd expect a feature version of this utterly captivating documentary to go into development soon.

Off to see Sid Lumet's BEFORE THE DEVIL KNOWS YOUR DEAD.

No comments: