Tuesday, January 27, 2009

FATHER KNOWS BEST

More than anyone else, my father has helped shape my understanding, knowledge, and appreciation of film. While we don't always agree (Tropic Thunder is indeed a comedic masterwork!), there's nobody else I'd rather discuss cinema with. I will always remember our weekly trips to the theater all throughout middle and high school, and I will always apprecaite his almost daily suggestions of older and more obscure films that I've never heard of. Just this past Christmas, he picked up a film for me that I'd never heard of -- Seven Beauties -- something that sounds delirious and completely unique. And that's what drives my dad's taste in cinema; he's a big believer in the mantra "Take me someplace I've never been." Granted, he doesn't see as many films as I do, and there are a few notable relases that he has yet to see but intends too. But, without further ado, here are my dad's top picks from 2008:

Features

Tarsem's The Fall

Danny Boyle's Slumdog Millionaire

Paul Weiland's Sixty-Six

Tom McCarthy's The Visitor

Jonathan Demme's Rachel Getting Married

David Fincher's The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Joel & Ethan Coen's Burn After Reading

David Gordon Green's Snow Angels

Sam Mendes' Revolutionary Road

Martin McDonagh's In Bruges

Runner's Up: Clint Eastwood's Changeling, Ron Howard's Frost/Nixon, Ed Harris' Appaloosa, Adam Brooks' Definitely, Maybe, Bharart Nalluri's Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day


Documentaries

Werner Herzog's Encounters at the End of the World
James Marsh's Man On Wire

No comments: