Saturday, January 17, 2009

MANLINESS PERSONIFIED


I fucking loved GRAN TORINO (****). It's blunt. It's direct. It's on the nose. It's racist and judgemental about every race and creed. But all in a great way. Eastwood's direction is, as usual, perfect. GRAN TORINO wears its emotions on its sleeve, which is a quality I'm usually resistant too in movies, but here, it really works. The dialogue in this film is so damn funny, so quotable, so truthful, that the film makes you chuckle at its perceptive qualities. Eastwood, in one of the best performances of the year, really delivers in the lead role. It's one for the ages. Full review coming up soon.

1 comment:

Joel said...

So glad you loved it. And I agree wholeheartedly about Clint. Brilliant performance. The trailer seemed to lead me to believe he'd be gruff, but in a one-note kind of way--good performance, but nothing to write home about. But I didn't expect this. Simply mind-blowing, my friend. A really mean character given freakish amounts of humanity. His gradual warming-up to those kids was great to watch.

And yes, his direction was no less assured here than in "Changeling," I think. That was ultimately a better film, but Eastwood's work was equal in both films.

Just stunning stuff.

Oh yeah and I've made a decision about "Pineapple Express." In about two weeks, once I'm done with the very stressful J-term I'm having right now (3.5-hour classes, five days a week, three weeks), I have four days till the start of the new semester. I'll watch it during those four days. Finally.