Monday, April 13, 2009

BEST OF 2004

1. Michael Mann’s Collateral
2. Martin Scorsese’s The Aviator
3. Peter Berg’s Friday Night Lights
4. Quentin Tarantino’s Kill Bill: Volume 2
5. Tony Scott’s Man on Fire
6. Wes Anderson’s The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou
7. Trey Parker & Matt Stone’s Team America: World Police
8. Jean Pierre Jeunet’s A Very Long Engagement
9. David Mamet’s Spartan
10. Sam Raimi’s Spiderman 2

Runners-Up: The Bourne Supremacy, Sideways, 2046, Alexander, Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, The Assassination of Richard Nixon, Before Sunset, Birth, Closer, Dawn of the Dead, The Dreamers, Enduring Love, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Fahrenheit 9/11, Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle, I Heart Huckabees, In Good Company, The Incredibles, Kinsey, King Arthur, Layer Cake, The Lady Killers, The Machinist, The Manchurian Candidate, Mean Creek, Million Dollar Baby, Open Water, Oceans 12, P.S., The Polar Express: 3-D Imax, Primer, The Phantom of the Opera, Ray, Supersize Me, The Terminal, Troy, Undertow, The Upside of Anger.

2 comments:

Joel said...

Collateral was positively remarkable, in a year I think is the second best, after 2006, of this decade. I was expecting something explosive (which is what I got...at times), but I was not expecting the last fifteen minutes to be so deliriously, lyrically beautiful as they were. PERFECT ending to a damn near perfect movie. That said, I'm having a spot of trouble deciding which of my three picks for 2004 (this one, Terminal, and Incredibles) to call the Best. You have to say that looking back is a hell of a lot of fun, but it's pretty hard as well, no?

Ecstatic that Spider-Man 2 made the list. One of the best sequels in general, but also in my personal top three superhero films. Brilliant stuff.

I agree that Polar Express should be on here in some capacity, but I prefer the 2D version. I personally don't like 3D (except for its wonderful use in "Bolt" last year). But Polar Express itself is a masterpiece.

Also, am I the only one whose top five of 2004 did not include Million Dollar Baby? Yeah, top ten for sure, but I could tell you 7 movies that were better. No, really, I could. :P

Actionman said...

Yes -- it's very tough looking back over this decade and coming up with a 10 best list that I am completely satisfied with. But it is most definitely fun.

I wish you had seen Coraline in 3-D. That was a treat.