Monday, May 11, 2009

FROM STARS TO LETTERS

I've been using a star system to rate each movie I check out. I'm gonna switch it up a little and start using letter grades (including + or -). I'll see what happens. I have a feeling that I'll be more satisfied in some weird way. Anyways, here's where I'm at for the year thus far:

Matteo Garrone’s Gomorrah (A+)
Jody Hill’s Observe and Report (A)
Henry Selick’s Coraline (A)
Zack Snyder’s Watchmen (A-)
JJ Abrams’ Star Trek (A-)
James Gray’s Two Lovers (A-)
Neveldine/Taylor’s Crank: High Voltage (A-)
Kevin McDonald’s State of Play (A-)
Tony Gilroy’s Duplicity (B+)
Greg Mottola’s Adventureland (B+)
John Hamburg’s I Love You, Man (B+)
Pierre Morel’s Taken (C)

6 comments:

Lemmy Caution said...

I have always preferred (and used) the letter grade system. Leaves some wiggle room when rating a movie.

Probably got used to it over the years reading Entertainment Weekly.

Actionman said...

Yeah -- wiggle room -- that's what I'm looking for with the switch.

Lemmy Caution said...

Off topic question.....what movie is the picture on your banner from ?

I'm thinking that's The Assasination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

But I could be wrong.

Actionman said...

You guessed correctly -- it's the shot of Brad Pitt standing infront of the oncoming train during that nighttime raid in the opening 30 mins of the film. I love that movie almost like it were a child (kidding...well...not really...)

Lemmy Caution said...

Sweet.

I just watched that for the second time about a month ago. It really is an amazing film.

Deserving of an A+ indeed.

Actionman said...

Yes, A+ all the way.

I saw a three hour cut of it at a test screening about 6 months before it was released. I'd love to see that version become a Criterion DVD down the line...