Friday, October 26, 2007

TONY SCOTT: MEET JOHN TRAVOLTA




Per Variety:
"John Travolta is boarding "The Taking of Pelham 123," negotiating to join Denzel Washington in the Tony Scott-directed remake at Columbia. Travolta will play the leader of a quartet that hijacks a Gotham subway train and threatens to kill the passengers unless a ransom is paid. The role was originated in the 1974 film by Robert Shaw. Washington plays the chief detective of security for the subway, a role originated by Walter Matthau in the Joseph Sargent-directed drama. David Koepp wrote the script and Todd Black, Jason Blumenthal and Steve Tisch are producing through Escape Artists. Tony Scott is also producing through his Scott Free banner. The film rolls into production early next year."
To me, this is a great piece of casting. Initially, I wasn't sure what to think. But Travolta in bad-guy mode is always a good thing and I love me some Tony Scott action-fisticuffs. Let's hope for an R-rating so the sparks really get to fly. And Denzel...well...for my money, he always delivers. I really enjoy the original film but at the same time, I think the core idea is ripe for a remake. A bad-ass one.

No comments: